This component is part of the "Green Bulgaria" pillar and aims to reduce the carbon footprint and energy intensity of the economy and support the green transition.
The component includes a total of eleven (11) reforms, including various specific goals from creating a sustainable mechanism to support energy efficiency measures, increasing the effectiveness of investments in the energy efficiency of multi-family residential buildings, reducing the administrative burden for businesses and households to comprehensively facilitate the effective addressing of structural challenges. The investments through which the set goals will be implemented are nine (9) in number:
Investment "Energy efficiency in building stock" is divided into two directions:
- Support for sustainable energy renovation of the residential building stock, aimed at implementing integrated energy efficiency measures; reaching energy consumption class minimum B; stimulating a minimum of 30% primary energy savings for renovated residential buildings; reducing energy poverty by reducing energy costs, and overall improvement of the conditions and quality of life of the population in the country through technological renewal and modernisation of the building stock. Eligible buildings are multi-family residential buildings that are in condominium mode according to the Law on condominium ownership management. Beneficiaries of the program are the owners' associations, which implement the project in partnership with the municipality. Indicative financial resource in the direction is BGN 1.1 billion excluding VAT funds from the Instrument for Recovery and Sustainability.
- Support for sustainable energy renovation of the non-residential building stock, aiming to achieve significant energy savings through targeted investments in industry, transport and the building sector (e.g. clean and low-carbon electricity generation, interconnections and smart grids) and gradual decarbonisation of the economy, including in coal mining regions. Beneficiaries of the program are municipalities, the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, public-private partnerships for buildings in the field of production, trade and services, non-profit legal entities, municipal enterprises, commercial companies, etc. Indicative financial resource under the direction is BGN 617 million excluding VAT, funds from the Instrument for Recovery and Sustainability, and the maximum intensity of the grant for buildings in the sphere of production, trade and services is 50%.
Investment "Program for financing single measures for energy from renewable sources (RES) in single-family buildings and multi-family buildings" aimed at increasing the use of RES in final consumption in the household sector by financing the purchase and installation of photovoltaic systems and solar systems for domestic hot water supply (DHW). The support expects the financing of two types of measures for renewable energy in households:
- Construction of solar systems for DHW - The maximum amount of non-reimbursed financing for an individual household is planned to be 100% of the value of the system, but no more than BGN 1,960.83;
- Construction of photovoltaic systems up to 10 kW - The maximum amount of free financing for an individual household is planned to be up to 70% of the value of the system, but no more than BGN 15,000. Energy-poor households can apply for free financing of up to 100% of the value of the system, but not more than BGN 15,000;
- Beneficiaries of the program are only households - a maximum of 9,500 households, of which 4,000 receive energy subsidies;
- The indicative budget for the program is BGN 139 million excluding VAT.
Investment "Energy-efficient municipal systems for outdoor artificial lighting (OAL)" provides non-grant financial assistance for the reconstruction and modernisation of municipal systems for outdoor artificial lighting to improve the living conditions of the population in the country. The program also envisages investment in infrastructure, which will reduce energy needs and increase the share of renewable energy used.
- Beneficiaries of the program are municipalities within the meaning of Art. 14 of the Law on Local Self-Government and Local Administration;
- The indicative budget for the program is EUR 149 million, with the intensity of the grant being 50%, and the remaining 50% in the form of an interest-free loan.
Investment "Digital transformation and development of information systems and real-time systems of ESO in the conditions of low-carbon energy" aims to comprehensively modernise the activities of planning, management and maintenance of the electricity transmission network of Bulgaria through the introduction of the most modern digital means and methods. The investment includes a wide-ranging program for the complete digital transformation of the systems and processes at ESO Ltd and consists of a total of nine (9) sub-projects with specific objectives.
- Beneficiaries of the program are municipalities within the meaning of Art. 14 of the Local government and local administration act;
- The indicative budget for the program is BGN 370 million excluding VAT, funds from the Instrument for Recovery and Sustainability. The intensity of the grant is 60%.
Investment "Scheme to support pilot projects for the production of green hydrogen and biogas" aims to develop pilot projects enabling the introduction of green hydrogen (from renewable energy) and biogas with application in industrial productions, as well as for their future use in transport and the production of electricity and thermal energy.
- Beneficiaries of the program are enterprises;
- The indicative budget for the program is BGN 137 million, with the intensity of the grant of 50%.
Investment "Scheme to support the construction of a minimum of 1.4GW RES and batteries in Bulgaria" aimed at integrating a higher percentage of renewable energy sources (RES) with a minimum of 1.4 GW into the network, combined with the minimum required capacity for electricity storage ( batteries).
- The beneficiary of the program is the Ministry of Energy, acting as the operator/administrator of the state aid, which will be provided to the participants in the form of a grant for part of the capital costs.
- The indicative budget for the program is BGN 667 million, with funds from the Instrument for Recovery and Sustainability (33%), and private financing – BGN 1.3 billion (67%).
Investment "Research activities and development of a pilot project for the combined production of heat and electricity from geothermal sources" aims to explore geothermal energy as a renewable source and create conditions for exploiting its potential for heat and electricity production through innovative systems providing clean energy for the home, industry, agriculture, balneology and tourism. The project includes updating the information on the geothermal potential in the country and preparing a design solution for a pilot system for the utilisation of geothermal energy for the combined production of electricity and heat.
- The beneficiary of the program is the Ministry of Energy through a project company / main contractor.
- The indicative budget for the program is BGN 343 million, funds from the Instrument for Recovery and Sustainability.
Investment National Infrastructure for the storage of electrical energy from RES (abbreviation - RESTORE) aims to support the "green transition" and decarbonisation of the energy sector through the purchase, installation and commissioning of a national infrastructure of electrical energy storage facilities with a total charging energy capacity of 6000 MWh.
- The beneficiary of the program is the Ministry of Energy through a newly established project company;
- The indicative budget for the program is BGN 1.5 billion.
You can find updated information about the individual programs for funding under Component 2 of the NPVU here in the "Current European Programs" section.